museum logo

English French German Italian Portuguese Russian Spanish

MissionMuseThe Missionary Museum was constructed in 1855 as a Wesleyan Chapel. In 1894 it was sold to the Baptists who used it as a mission church until the enforcement of the Group Areas Act led to the closure of the church. The museum opened it doors to the public in 1976 and functions as a satellite of the Amathole Museum.

The Missionary Museum strives to represent a truly interdenominational scope; King William's Town being an ideal location for such an institution. From the early 19th century, early missionary activity characterised the area. Between 1856-1859, the first complete edition of the Xhosa bible was printed by the Rev John Appleyard at Mount Coke, situated just outside King William's Town. The latter press as well as the reconstructed Ruthven Press used by John Bennie in 1823 to print the first words in Xhosa, are on display in the museum. Well-known mission stations such as Lovedale, Healdtown and St. Matthews are represented in the exhibition. Significant too, is the fact that the German Baptist movement in South Africa has its origins in King William's Town, and also the work of the Dominican Order in this country.

The Missionary Museum is situated about 5 blocks away from the main museum complex (see Museum Map).

Station of the Cross



An example of the beautiful Stations of the Cross on display in the museum.