The Amathole Museum

The Amathole Museum, which has an international reputation, originated from the King William's Town Naturist Society founded in 1884. The name of the Museum has changed twice, and in 1999 officially to Amathole. The isiXhosa term amathole (calves), is the name of the nearby mountains. It is housed in 4 national monuments.

405af858-1b4a-4b94-fca2-e469fb16d86a

The old Public Library now housing Across the frontier and Wagon Room exhibitions. The original Museum building now housing Huberta, Wolsak the buffalo, and many more animal exhibitions. The old Post Office, now housing the Xhosa Gallery.